new install of cygwin with pdksh doesn't work

David M. Karr dkarr@tcsi.com
Thu Dec 21 08:48:00 GMT 2000

  Markus> David M. Karr writes:
  >> As I still have to work with other applications (Emacs, etc.) which
  >> will continue to write files with DOS line endings, removing the ^Ms
  >> is not a practical option, as I'd have to do that constantly.

  Markus> If Emacs is your major concern, stick the following into your .emacs:

  Markus> (setq-default buffer-file-coding-system 'undecided-unix)

  Markus> New files will then be unix-style. Works great here.

Emacs is a major concern, but not my only one.  I don't think it's
practical to try to fix every Windows program to produce Unix line
endings.  I have to focus on getting Cygwin to work with DOS line
endings.

My original installation works fine.  When I ran the second
installation, I think I probably left the "Unix" flag on.  Is it
conceivable that I'll have to uninstall completely so I can reinstall
with the "DOS" flag set?  Rerunning it and setting that flag had no
effect.