Gnome on Cygwin: Braddock's Birthday Challenge

Braddock Gaskill braddock@braddock.com
Tue Dec 19 22:00:00 GMT 2000

Think you guys are doing fine work.  Wanted to post a challenge:

I will donate $300 on behalf of the first people to get a stable GNOME
desktop binary distribution running under Cygwin/XFree before my
birthday, February 9th, 2001 to any Free software project or
organization of the "winners'" choice.

General requirements towards meeting the challenge: A stable port of
the base gnome libraries, the gnome core, gmc, the panel, ORBit, sound,
and at least one of sawmill, Enlightenment, or Ice window managers to
XFree running under Cygwin, and whatever else is required to get a
basic useable stable Gnome desktop.  Any necessary patches must be
cleanly resubmitted to the Gnome project, Cygwin, or XFree projects.
Binary distributions of the results should be made available for easy
install; preferably both the XFree server and the GNOME binaries would
be made part of the basic Cygwin "Setup" distribution.

This is meant as a gentleman's challenge.  Whether the requirements
are met within reason is at my discretion.  What group of developers
gets to choose the project or organization to receive the funds is at
my discretion, if that project is clearly enough organized to
appropriately use the money is also at my discretion, and if there is no
clear leader or the developers involved can't agree, then I'll just
make the donation to the Free Software Foundation.  "Almost" success
(like everything-but-sound) may lead to a partial prize, at my
discretion.  Death to lawyers.

I'm hoping this work will lead to improvements in both Cygwin and
XFree on Windows.  I attempted compiling the GNOME sources under
Cygwin a while ago, and mostly ran into the lack of thread support.  I
realize this money is nothing compared to the value of the time you
folks spend on this; I wish I had more time to work on it directly.
I'd love to see matching purses posted by others.

Global Technologies Inc has already done this port using their U/WIN
commercial posix library: http://www.linuxorbit.com/features/interview2.php3

	-Braddock Gaskill