Q: vim: clipboard?

Andrej Borsenkow Andrej.Borsenkow@mow.siemens.ru
Sat Dec 16 13:12:00 GMT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earnie Boyd" <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
To: "Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z" <Ljubomir_Josifovski-BLJ01Z@email.mot.com>;
<cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: Q: vim: clipboard?

> --- Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z <Ljubomir_Josifovski-BLJ01Z@email.mot.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone using vim? Have you found a way to use the * register
(clipboard)?
> > How? I understand these are gvim and windows vim features only. But
maybe
> > someone found a way to compile them into the cygwin binary...
> >

> I believe that would require mouse support which isn't quite there yet.
> However, it's being worked on.  As a work around I use the edit menu of
the
> command window.  Make sure that when you want to paste that you're in
insert
> mode first.  I use NT4 and don't know if this work around exists for
W9x/ME.

You do not need mouse support. "Clipboard" in Vim is just a normal register;
you use yank or delete commands to place text into this register or put
command to fetch text from this register. Mouse (if available) is used just
to select text not to access clipboard.

Assuming, that /dev/clipboard in Cygwin is working, it should not be very
hard to add support for it to Vim.. I understand the original question was
"How to access windows clipboard"?

-andrej