User Mode Linux on Win32 [Was: Re: Wine on Cygwin]

Ville Herva vherva@niksula.hut.fi
Fri Dec 1 12:37:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:27:43AM -0500, you [Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)] claimed:
> At 11:01 PM 11/30/2000, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> >On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
> >
> > > Why would one want to run Wine on Cygwin which is itself running on what
> > > Wine is trying to emulate?
> >
> >For many reasons:
> >   -- ease of development
> >   -- get more developers (some have only Windows at work)
> >   -- test Cygwin to its limits
> >   -- ditto for Wine
> >   -- it has a large neat factor :)
>
> Seems to me that getting user-mode Linux
> ( http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net ) running on Cygwin would be another
> option that may fulfill many of the same goals without the confusing
> side-effects!;-)  Just a thought and one that can be easily ignored.;-)

Actually, the author of User Mode Linux, Jeff Dike, is actively searching
for volunteers to undertake (or participate to) the Windows port of UML.
Some progress has already been made, so this not a start-from-scratch
offer.

If anybody is interested, you can mail Jeff.

-- v --

v@iki.fi