DLL naming conventions

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Wed Aug 30 11:37:00 GMT 2000

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 11:20:29AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Norman, you missed the point...
>
>  If we change the name of libz.dll to 'cyglibz.dll' or somesuch, then
>it would *not* be in pub/cygwin/contrib/zlib/.  Chris is pointing out
>that this would confuse people (*), and the answer is
>  'The name was changed. The file is cyglibz.dll (or whatever)'
>not
>  go download the package again from ftp://.....

Let's put it another way, then:  How many complaints have we seen about
incompatible DLLs?

The original query was in regard to the fact that vast number of "GNU on
Windows" systems could step on each others' toes.  If Cygwin was here
first, I'm not sure why it should have to change to accomodate other
packages.  In fact, if all of the myriad systems out there just agree on
their own naming convention, that should leave cygwin with no problems.

Here's the convention that makes sense to me "Cygwin's DLLs are named
similarly to their counterparts on UNIX so that a library named libz.so
on UNIX is named libz.dll under Cygwin.  Under the bushwah GNU porting
layer, similar libraries are named bushwalibz.dll."

Works for me.

cgf