Multiple users of cygwin and "bash here"

egb@us.ibm.com egb@us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 17 06:06:00 GMT 2000

I mentioned in a previous posting that simply adding a "Bash" key to the
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell and the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
does what the 50 lines of *.inf do.
     addkey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Bash
          add string value to this key, I use "Bash Here"
          addkey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Bash\command
               add string value to this key "f:\cyg\bin\bash.exe -i"
     addkey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\Bash
          add string value to this key, I use "Bash Here"
          addkey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Bash\command
               add string value to this key "f:\cyg\bin\bash.exe -i"

This could be automated to a .reg file but it would still require editing
to add the location of
your individual cygwin installation.

To get the proper environment setup you have to make sure bash reads
/etc/profile. Only problem is
there is a "cd $HOME" in /etc/profile. I simply copied most of the
/etc/profile stuff into my
$HOME/.bashrc. I am sure there is a better solution to this, though. My
cygwin is installed
in the f:\cyg directory. Yours might be different.

Ed Bradford

Your Windows 2000 Arborist
T/L 589-4410; Outside: 1-919-993-4410
egb@us.ibm.com