Upgrading from b20.1 to 1.1.x - now my static linking fails !

MarketLogix mlx@mlx.com
Tue Aug 1 06:52:00 GMT 2000

O.K.

Looks like I finally got by this.

The culprit looks to be gcc-2.95.2-2 (release 2)

One last time, here's the situation:

Assume that there exists a module called MY.c that contains an
eclectic mixture of C & ObjC source. I then attempt to create
both a relocatable DLL and a static library around this module.

The DLL to be used by non-cygwin Apps, the .a to be used by cygwin Apps.
To further clarify: the static (.a) library here is NOT an import
library for the DLL, its a separate & wholly individual FULL STATIC
binary representation of the same source module MY.c ...

And here's the final scorecard:

1st scenario:

gcc-2.95.2-2 + latest/binutils  = good MY.dll BUT X.exe -lMY.a link fails .

2nd scenario:

gcc-2.95.2-2 + release/binutils = bad  MY.dll BUT  X.exe -lMY.a links O.K. .

3rd scenario: (USABLE ONE)

gcc-2.95.2   + latest/binutils  = good MY.dll AND  X.exe -lMY.a links O.K.

This seems somewhat of an aberration because it only seems to happen
with 1 of my half a dozen or so libary modules. But I'm fairly certain
that since gcc-2.95.2-2 is the future, we haven't seen the last of it.

When I get more time, I will try to drill down deeper to unearth the
exact cause, but I'd bet even money that my skillset in this area is
such that I could easily burn a week - so for now I need to get back
to "direct-paying" work.

later,

bisk