Various questions - docs, paths

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Thu Apr 27 08:11:00 GMT 2000

At 10:58 AM 4/27/00, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
> > root
> > your
> > that

> > >The display of the cygdrive prefix needs to be added to the output of
> > `mount'.
> > >Currently the only way to know the values of this is to either use regedit
> > or
> > >cygcheck.
> >

> > I'm not sure if I understand your point here Earnie.  As I understand it, the
> > /cygdrive paths get generated automatically and "on-the-fly" when someone or
> > something references a path to a Windows drive that has not been explicitly
> > mounted (i.e. is not in the mount table).  The /cygdrive path exists only as
> > long as its needed/used, so its transient.  Seems to me that it makes sense
> > simply add to the documentation that those who want to eliminate the
> > /cygdrive
> > prefix from one of their paths should simply mount the drive in question to
> > their favorite path... or am I missing some important point in all this?
> >

>The /cygdrive is stored in the registry and can be modified by `mount'.
>Therefore, the contents of the data should be displayed in the output of
>`mount'.

I guess I don't have objections to "/cygdrive" specifically appearing in the
mount table display if it's role can be clearly distinguished from the other
mount entries (since its purpose is subtly different).  I'm not sure if I
see the point to having something like "/cygdrive/d" (representing the
transient mounting of someone's D drive) in the listing though.  Overall,
great care needs to be exercised here to keep any change to address the
/cygdrive issue from generating any confusion about what this notation
does, IMO.

                                        (508) 560-1285 - cell phone