CYGWIN-1.1.0 trouble: 40 to 80 sec delay if no network connection

Ulrich Jakobus u.jakobus@web.de
Tue Apr 25 01:31:00 GMT 2000

Hello,

last week I upgraded from CYGWIN B21 to the new net release
CYGWIN 1.1.0. I have absolutely no trouble when my computer
is connected to the network (Ethernet). However, this is a
notebook computer running under Windows NT 4.0 service pack 6,
and whenever I work at home I do not have a permanent network
connection.

The following effect is fully reproducable:

  If I disconnect my network cable and want to execute any
  CYGWIN command (e.g. open a bash shell, type "ls" in a DOS
  window, execute "make" from within emacs etc.), I have to
  wait for about 40 to 80 seconds, then I get the correct result
  (e.g. if I type "ls" only after 40 to 80 sec I get the list
  of files, no error or so is printed). As soon as I attach the
  network cable again, I get an immediate response. I also
  can open a bash shell (also delay 40 to 80 sec), but then
  inside this bash shell I can execute CYGWIN commands and
  get an immediate response. The same problem applies to
  applications that I compile with gcc.

Does anybody else observe this problem? Any idea how to fix it?
I did not have this or similar problems with CYGWIN B21.

Thanks,

Ulrich