ld or gcc failing?

Richard hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be
Mon Sep 27 12:55:00 GMT 1999

> Richard <hicklinr@mcd.alcatel.be> writes:
> > I must ask: what is relocatable output actually for (that can't be provided by
> > archives)?
> > (sorry: this is now off topic).
> Essentially -r creates an executable of sorts that contains the relocation
> information so that you can use it in subsequent linking. It also does not
> lay out the common symbols, and does not complain if there are undefined
> symbols during this relocatable link.
> More confused yet ;-?

I certainly am!  What could be the purpose of this?

I'm particularly interested because I came across the 16-bit 'file truncated'
problem, and thought I'd solved it by using archives.  But then the software didn't
work: modules (it was CHILL) that were to be swapped into context were just not
there - though 'objdump' showed their entry points.  I tried this on Solaris SPARC
too (where there was no relocatable size problem) - and had the same problem.  It
was necessary to link relocatably for some reason.  I have not had the time to
learn enough about the product - or CHILL - to attempt to analyse this.  The
quickest solution for me is not to let the relocatables get too large (but too many
files and I have a line-length problem) and not to waste time wondering what is
actually going on.  It must have something to do with a CHILL peculiarity, but I
have no idea what.