D[ char when I hit backspace

Tadeusz Liszka tad@comco.com
Sun Oct 31 19:54:00 GMT 1999

Could you be more specific? I am not getting D['s on my machines. Which
terminal/shell are you using? Is it backspace or left-arrow key?

Possible explanation (guessing)
The ASCII code for backspace is a sequence containing D and escape. If any special
key is not understood by the shell then it is repeated verbally on the screen. Same
thing happens sometimes when arrows are used when shell is busy.

When you hold the key long enough it will be automatically repeated - but you already
know that.

--
Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence