[kzmi@ca2.so-net.ne.jp: Re: windres cant make a child window resource ?]

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Wed Oct 27 20:22:00 GMT 1999

Hi, I'm the GNU binutils maintainer.  Can anybody on the cygwin list
confirm or deny this bug report about windres?  Making the suggested
change would not be backward compatible, which concerns me.

Ian

To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com>
CC: bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org
Subject: Re: windres cant make a child window resource ?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 02:29:46 +0900
From: Iwasa Kazmi <kzmi@ca2.so-net.ne.jp>

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>    Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:58:18 +0900
>    From: Iwasa Kazmi <kzmi@ca2.so-net.ne.jp>
>
>    Windres seems to be not able to make a dialog resource
>    which have only WS_CHILD style.
>    All dialogs will be added a popup-window style.
>
>    AFAIS, rcparse.y have a problem.
>    In the parsing time, if windres got a `DIALOG' or `DIALOGEX'
>    section, it set a dialog style as (WS_POPUP|WS_BORDER|WS_SYSMENU).
>    Then, if it got a `STYLE' line, it *add* the new styles
>    to the dialog style.
>
>    If this is a correct work, windres should be added
>    an other way to set the dialog styles except WS_POPUP.
>
> You can remove the default styles by using NOT.  For example,
> something like
>     STYLE NOT WS_POPUP | NOT WS_BORDER

Thank you. It works well for create a WS_CHILD dialog.

> I think this is compatible with Microsoft's rc program.
>
> Ian

In VC++6, usually I'm using, IDE creates a simple STYLE line like this:

STYLE WS_CHILD

and RC creates a dialog resource which have only WS_CHILD style.
I don't know about old version. but I think default style should be
enabled only if STYLE line was omitted.

- --
Iwasa Kazmi
kzmi@ca2.so-net.ne.jp