cygwin's unlink

Steve Jorgensen steve@khoral.com
Tue Oct 26 13:01:00 GMT 1999

	I'm having a strange problem in the unlink library
	call for cygwin.  We have a routine which removes
	directories recursively.  To make this routine safer,
	we use first try to unlink the directory, just in case
	the directory is a symbolic link (this routine is not supposed
	to follow symbolic links).  In the case it's a symbolic link,
	it removes the link, and the routine returns success.

	Anyway, in the case where the file is truely a directory, under
	all unix systems we've tried, unlink returns and error, and we
	proceed with the recursive directory removal, but under cygwin
	it returns success (even though nothing is removed), and our code
	returns success without removing the directory.  Is this a limitation
	in the underlying windows unlink, or a bug in cygwin?

					Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	    steve@haunt.com