"Accented" characters

Alain CULOS Alain.EnnisZ@eircom.net
Sat Oct 9 13:41:00 GMT 1999

Hi All,

[Please note I am NOT subscribed to the list]
[Please BCC any reply to my address without the Z]

A long time ago I was enquiring about how to get bash to display accents
properly in
DOS box but I still have not gotten around to doing that.

So I hope you will forgive me for restarting that thread.

In my .bat script for starting bash I included the two lines from the autoexec
prepare the page ... for bash just in case.
Here is what it does when I start bash :
**************
MODE prepare code page function completed

MODE select code page function completed
**************
This part is still in the .bat and seem to work.
Now proceed to bash itself, when it starts immediately after the above output :
**************
1 -> /c/WINDOWS/COMMAND.COM /c chcp 850
Code page 850 not prepared for system
**************
Strange isn't it ?
**************
2 -> cat /c/AUTOEXEC.BAT
<snip>
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
The above is what I duplicated in my bash start up script.
Works in DOS, accents show fine.
Does not work in bash, accents not input or displayed.

Should I do something with the termcap file ?
If so, could someone point me to the relevant termcap documentation and possibly

to a
tutorial ?

Best regards,
Alain.