Strangeness executing script with space in filename

Dirk Fieldhouse fieldhouse@logica.com
Thu May 20 22:26:00 GMT 1999

B20.1, NT4W/SP3

Suppose I have files such as the following:

/tmp/foo.exe
/tmp/fum
/tmp/New Folder/foo.exe
/tmp/New Folder/fum

where fum is a shell script. In bash 2.02, suppose w,x,y,z are variables set to each of these filenames.

Then

bash> "$w"	# executes foo.exe

bash> "$x"	# executes fum script

bash> "$y"	# executes foo.exe

bash> "$z"	# loses: /test/New: not found

(and incidentally z="/test/New\ Folder/fum" is no better)

I'm not sure whether this is a bash/ash issue or more profound, eg cygwin exec().
Any ideas?

--
Dirk Fieldhouse                 Logica UK Limited
fieldhouse@logica.com           75 Hampstead Road