bash 2.0.2 backquoted text includes final carriage return

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Tue May 4 08:14:00 GMT 1999

--- Bill Kelly <kelly@softwired-inc.com> wrote:
> Normally the replacement text in bash for something like `hostname` would
> exclude any
> final line ending characters, but in bash 2.0.2 this appears not to be the
> case.
-8<-

By _normally_ do you mean on a UNIX system?

-8<-
> When I tried including the hostname in filenames in bash, I ended up with
> carriage
> returns in the filenames.
-8<-
> bash-2.02$ echo -n `hostname` | od -c
> 0000000   b   o   r   s  \r
> 0000005

Expected default.  Workaround if necessary only: export CYGWIN=nobinmode.
Alternate fix would be to set the output of hostname to 0_BINARY mode in the
hostname source file(s) and rebuild.
===
"Earnie Boyd" < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
CYGWIN RELATED HELP: