Cygwin license

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Wed Mar 31 19:45:00 GMT 1999

I agree with Steve.

I've debated for quite a while whether it makes sense to say anything in
this thread.  So far, I've only attempted to contribute to it with specific
something to the thread in general however:

 - The discussion has been about what is actually required to be able to
   distribute something on top of Cygwin.

 - The focus has generally been on the difference between the two licensing
   schemes with which Cygnus provides Cygwin, with a focus of the discussion
   on what it means to distribute something under the GPL.

 - Both Chris and DJ have quite directly and pretty completely answered the
   wide variety of questions in this regard, with DJ providing a wealth of
   insight into the GPL (for those of us who haven't taken the time to try
   to read it and think about it - me included!;-))

 - Releasing GPL software on top of Cygwin seems to mean that one needs to
   provide the sources for both the software and Cygwin along with the
   binaries.  It seems quite clear that the addition of about 4MBs of
   Cygwin source is all that is necessary and, subjectively, doesn't seem
   like much of a burden.

 - Much of the rest of the conversation about this subject has amounted to
   people complaining about the "commercial" license form that Cygnus sells,
   either in principle or in cost, or general comments on whether GPL makes
   sense in a particular individual's view.

I think its fair to say that the question of what it means to release a
program built on top of Cygwin has been answered completely.  If you want
to keep your source (and Cygwin's) and sell your program, buy a commercial
license.  If you are willing to distribute your binaries/source (and
Cygwin's), just use the GPL.  If you don't like either of these options,
talk to Cygnus directly and see if you can work something out or go
someplace else to find the support you need.

Since the original point of the thread was to try to clarify what it meant
to distribute something on top of Cygwin and this issue has been resolved,
perhaps its best now not to let this thread degenerate more into a
discussion of the merits of the GPL and/or Cygnus bashing.  I'm sure if
you have comments for Cygnus in this regard, you can contact them directly
with your concerns.

That's it.  I'm out.  If this adds more off-topic discussion to the thread,
I'm sorry!

Larry Hall                             lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                     (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                         (781) 239-1655
Wellesley, MA, 02482-7797              http://www.rfk.com