How do I split binaries to manageable chunks

Phil Edwards pedwards@jaj.com
Wed Jun 30 22:10:00 GMT 1999

Ugh.  It seems that the 'split' utility isn't quite doing what it should.  If
you fix the source, your own files would provide an excellent testcase.  In
the meantime:

> 1)    Could you please indicate to split and later recombine binary file(s)?

Have you tried 'dd'?  The command-line syntax is a little funky, beware.

> 2)    Do I need to convert the file to a text equivalent before using split?
> If so, what software can I use to do this?

You don't /have/ to, but you can.  (For example, if you wanted to use some
other method of transferring.)  There are utilites to do MIME encoding on
the command line (say, mpack/munpack), and there are several UU* programs
out there (uuencode/uudecode).

(If you reply to the list, please don't cc another copy to me.  Thanks!)
Phil