no stepping under gdb 4.18

Phil Edwards pedwards@jaj.com
Tue Jun 22 14:40:00 GMT 1999

I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this.  I searched the archives,
but found nothing conclusive.  There was a message from Mumit regarding
problems with stepping into template function calls, and that's what
I'm trying to do.  As he suggested, I recompiled with -ggdb / -gstabs,
but nothing changed.

I've just built gdb 4.18 under B20.  No modificatons to B20 other than
replacing the egcs, make, and auto* programs (i.e., no DLL changes).

Fire up gdb with an executable that's just chock full of debugging-info
goodness.  Set a breakpoint.  Type "run".  First comes a half-dozen traces
from DLLs, unable to read line numbers.  Okay, I say, it's the usual
Winblows crappiness, their DLLs can't be stepped into.  Not a problem.

Then execution stops at the right function call.  At this point, it
doesn't matter whether I type 's' or 'n' or 'nexti' because gdb just takes
off running.  Thr program goes on for several more lines and then hangs
(that's not GDB's problem, that's the one I'm trying to track down :-).

I can 'kill' the program, but then a subsequent 'run' never works; I have
to exit and restart gdb.  That doesn't really bother me; I won't be using
Cygwin to do debugging.  What bothers me is that I can't single-step
over or through functions.  I'm guessing that this is because they are
template functions?

(Similar breakage occurs with the 4.17.1 that's shipped with B20.)

(If you reply to the list, please don't cc another copy to me.  Thanks!)
Phil