FW: Case sensitivity in filenames

Scandora, Anthony E., Jr. scandora@cmt.anl.gov
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

This is undesirable behavior for me and at least one other reader of this
list who said, "I view this as an
essential aspect of ANY tool running under Windows. (Unix compatibility or
no).  Regrettably, I think this blows cygwin out of the water for me, yet
again..."  Although this does not blow cygwin out of the water for me, it
does make it more difficult to use.  Using UNIX-style regexp parsing is not
as important to me as is supporting the host filesystem correctly.  For
Windows, that means case-insensitive lookups.  If I type "dir AuTo*.bAt" at
a C: prompt, I get AUTOEXEC.BAT.  I expect the same from ls or any other
wildcard lookup program.  If regexp can't do it, why not create a ciregexp
that does case insensitive comparisons?

Tony Scandora, Argonne National Lab, 630-252-7541
scandora@cmt.anl.gov

-