termcap questions

Christopher G. Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

In article <368CDF72.B58520E8.cygnus.gnu-win32@cityweb.de>,
Corinna Vinschen <corinna.vinschen@cityweb.de> wrote:
>Kevin Bailey wrote:
>>I have cygwin 20.1, which is running great, and I want to download
>>and compile Joe's editor. But first I guess I should straighten
>>out the termcap stuff.
>>
>>Should/must I copy the termcap file under /cyg.../etc to /etc ?
>>Which entry would you recommend for doing cursor movement,
>>arrow keys and bold (but no color needed) in a DOS window
>>(NT console) ?  And lastly, I guess I set TERM=whatever ?
>>If anyone has actually done this, I'd appreciate any additional
>>suggestions or warnings.
>
>Yes, copy termcap to /etc and set TERM=cygwin.

In general, this is good advice, but there are a couple of additional
points I'd like to make:

1) You can use mount to mount your /cyg../etc file as /etc .  Personally
   I find that preferrable to having multiple copies of a file on my
   disk.

2) The libtermcap distributed in B20.1 defaults to an built-in table
   for the cygwin (or linux) term settings if it can't find a
   /etc/termcap file.  That means that if you have no intention of
   ever using another terminal type with whatever you're building you
   should be able to safely *delete* /etc/termcap and things should still
   work as expected.

-chris
--
cgf@cygnus.com