Case sensitivity in filenames

Christopher G. Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

In article <19990108162522.12567.cygnus.gnu-win32@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU>,
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
>I agree with this.  The default behaviour should be as Unix-like as
>possible.  However, don't forget that the goal is *porting* Unix tools.
>A proper port to Windows will be case-insensitive as far as file-names
>are concerned, because that is what Windows users expect.  Therefore,
>there should be a simple way of enabling case-insensitivity.

If someone wants to donate a patch to enable this "simple way" of enabling
case sensitivity, I'll be happy to get it into the sources ASAP.

Unfortunately, the point that seems to be consistently missed is that
this isn't just a simple "just fix cygwin" solution.  There are many
tools which use their own version of glob or regexp or whatever.  Each
one of these has to be modified.
--
cgf@cygnus.com
http://www.cygnus.com/