stand alone console app

Dale P. Smith smithd@bellhow.com
Sun Feb 28 23:02:00 GMT 1999

Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Dale P. Smith wrote:
> >
> > 1. Can mingw32 create a static library. *Not* a dll!  I have a bit of
> > code that needs to be linked with an application.  It cannot be in a dll.
> > (It's a looong story).  (Oh yeah, for linking with VC++ 4.0)
>
> 1.a) static library: sure.
>
>   $ gcc -c foo1.c foo2.c
>   $ ar crv libfoo.a foo1.o foo2.o
>
> 1.b) link directly with MSVC? Maybe, but before that you need to download
>   the msvc40 runtime. Mingw as distributed uses CRTDLL runtime, but MSVC
>   uses MSVCRT40.DLL. See my ftp area:
>     ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/egcs-1.1.1/
>
>   Even with this, there may be incompatibilities (one of them I know of
>   __chkstk vs __chkstk). Feel free to experiment and let us know. You
>   may need to name the archive, ie., static library, with .lib extension.
>
>   $ ar crv foo.lib foo1.o foo2.o

Cool. I'm going to try it.

> > 2. Can mingw32 create .obj files that can be statically linked with VC++
> > 4.0 .objs?
>
> See above. Official answer is no (you can't even mix Microsoft's own
> object files across some of the MSVC versions!).
>
> The only recommended method is what you don't want to do -- use DLLs.
> Anything else is unchartered and unsupported territory.
>
> > 3. Can mingw32 create *any* kind of debug output that can be used with
> > VC++ 4.0 Developer Studio?
>
> No. Unless someone contributes the work, it's not going to happen.

foo

> > We use gcc here for solaris, sinix and sometimes sco, but VC++ for win32
> > (95/nt). It
> > would be so great to be able to build for any platform from out solaris
> > development
> > machines.  As it is, I have boot nt to compile (I usually rin Linux).
> > It's a real
> > pain.
>
> You can always cross compile from your Solaris or Intel directly for
> either Cygwin or Mingw. I've posted the howto a few times to this list,
> so a search should pull it up. May take a few tries, so have patience
> while you're doing this the first time. Of course, this is with GCC;
> you'll have to ask MS to get you a VC cross compiler (Good luck ;-).

This is what I intended.  I currently have a mingw32 target gcc 2.8.1
hosted
on solaris.  It was a real trial getting stl working.  I think I finally
just copied some of your files down and it just worked!  It's been a
while,
(early fall of last year?) and I haven't used it much because of the
above
questions.  I'm going to play around some more though.

Thanks!
   Dale