bug: missing include files in B20.1

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Sun Feb 28 23:02:00 GMT 1999

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Teun Burgers wrote:

> include files stddef, stdarg.h, varargs.h, float.h are
> present in H-i586-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/egcs-2.91.57/include,
> but not in H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/include from
> the B20 full.exe distribution.
>
> Therefore the perl5 configure script cannot find them.
> Can be worked around (fixed?) by copying the include files
> to the right directory.

I don't consider this a bug, since according to standard, these files need
not even exist as "files". Perl's configuration should be fixed. Here's an
easy way to check for where include files are:

  - Preprocess a trivial .c file with the include file of interest using
    the compiler (gcc -E)
  - look for the '# .... include.h' line and parse that.

It's been a while since I've built perl, but thought Perl configuration
did just that.

I will argue against the "copying workaround" since it adds unnecessary
duplication which usually leads to out-of-sync files and the resulting
problems.

The solution is to find out what exactly Perl configuration is doing and
fix that instead. Considering the incredible efficiency of the Perl hackers,
that should take oh let's say all of 30 seconds ;-)

Regards,
Mumit