compilation failure with g77

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 13:28:00 GMT 1999

--- Eve Daly <emmdaly@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have downloaded and installed cygwin-b20.1 and
> upgraded cygwin1.dll using Earnie Boyds 19990115 snap
> shot,
> I then installed gcc-2.95.2 by
> downloading the following files
>
>  gcc-2.95.2-cygb20.tar.gz
>  binutils-2.9.4-cygb20.tar.gz
>  gcc-2.95.2-dev-ss.tar.gz

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This file installed changes that appear in snapshots greater than 19990115.
One of those changes is a change from __ctype to _ctype_.

> in d;\cygnus\cygwin-b20\
> and then tarred and unzipped them using tar -xfz
>
> as par the instructions given
> http://www.woodsoup.org/projs/ORKiD/cygwin.htm
>
> ie do the above
> and
> set up
>  LIBRARY_PATH
>  C_INCLUDE_PATH
>  CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH

These variables are not needed if you have things setup properly.  I.E.: either
moved to /usr/include and /usr/lib or left in the installed path.

> I then wanted to test it by compiling a simple
>  fortran program( which is the main reason I
> installed cygwin, but I get the following error.
>  undefined reference to `_imp___ctype_'

This is the indication of your mixing old and new.  I'll suggest that you get
the latest cygwin-inst from the http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/
page and install it.  Overwrite your existing files with the ones from this
package.

> I have obviously missed something important,
> I read the gcc readme and it talks
> about-I/usr/local/mingw/include and
> -L/usr/local/mingw/lib, but I don't really understand
> it.
> How do I set up the gcc variables which it talks about
> and is this my problem?.
> any help you could give would be great and I am sorry
> for such a newbie question
>
> Eve
>  ps
>
>  I have also attached the o/p of