gcc brokeness

Andy Piper andy@xemacs.org
Fri Dec 31 13:28:00 GMT 1999

At 08:49 PM 12/3/99 -0800, Martin Buchholz wrote:
>Cygnus and Cygwin guys, you're not off the hook yet.  You still need
>to fix this serious bug!

>-O2 -fno-strength-reduce  gives  clean compile
>
>So a reasonable guess is that strength reduction optimizations are
>broken.

Well, it looks like these optimizations are also repsonsible for all my X
lossage. Xpm compiled with these crashes XEmacs, Xt compiled with these
just doesn't work at all. So I would say the problem is pretty comprehensive.

I would recommend anybody using cygwin 1.0 compiles with
-fno-strength-reduce for everything.

andy