standards for building

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 13:28:00 GMT 1999

--- John Huddleston <jhuddles@rocky.itc.nrcs.usda.gov> wrote:
> Reply to Earnie, (Cc to Cygwin list)
>
> No one responded for an idea for the makefiles,
> perhaps there is no standard.  Here is some sample

Well, there is a suggested "standard" at the FSF.

> code that works to isolate platforms within a makefile,
> what do you think?

I'm in no way an expert at gnu Makefiles.  I haven't had to construct anything
complex.  If your sample works, then I think it's wonderful.  I would tend to
take a look at using config.guess, configure scripts that use it, autoconf and
automake packages and packages that use it to decide how I would setup the
scripts.

Does anyone on the list know of a step by step tutorial on autoconf and
automake configuration other than the info files that come with the packages?
Does anyone else have a suggestion?

> DIR:=empty
> export UNIX_VER:=$(shell uname -r)
> ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 20.1 (0.3/1/1))
>  DIR:=/cygwin/sysutils
> endif
> ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 4.2MP)
>  DIR:=/unixware/sysutils
> endif
> ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 5.5.1)
>  DIR:=/solaris5/sysutils
> endif
> ifeq ($(UNIX_VER), 5.6)
>  DIR:=/solaris6/sysutils
> endif
>
> usage:
>  @echo "$(DIR)"
>
> The echo line starts with a TAB.  The "uname -r"
> command under Cygnus brings out the major
> version plus the date.   There are many variants
> of this kind.   Too bad, it simply does not poduce
> the major version.
>
> John Huddleston

-8<-

=====