Newbie ?:Ctrl-Z causes gcc to fail

Chris Arai arai@araidesign.com
Mon Dec 27 16:35:00 GMT 1999

Sorry about this question, it seems like it must have been answered many
times.

I am trying to port DOS c source files to gnu/linux.  When I try to
compile I get errors that seem to indicate that the DOS end of file
character Ctrl-Z is causing gcc to fail.  Of course I have run the files
through fromdos (and I've also tried the equivalent, dos2unix) but the
Ctrl-Z is still there.

What is the normal method of converting DOS source files to linux so that
at least the characters are correct, if not the content?

I will probably try using tr -d \32 but that seems the long way around for
something that must have been solved long ago, probably near the end of
the first Millenium.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Arai