[Fwd: Cygwin Question]

Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 9 01:03:00 GMT 1999

I was asked to forward this to the cygwin list -- Norman's ISP seems to
be on the ORBS list.

Norman Vine wrote:
> First  off
> Thanks to all responsible for the great tools :)
>
> Embarassed asking newbie like questions
> but I have been struggling :-(
>
> Could someone please post a short howto
> on doing a fresh install of cygwin using
>   the 'current' snapshots
>   Mumits 2-95.2 distribution
>   C Wilson's  Perl and usr / local distributions
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Norman Vine

Here's my SHORT attempt at an answer: each of these steps has various
instructions elsewhere.

  1) install cygwin-b20.1 (+19990115 snapshot dll)
  2) rearrange directories (see Earnie's web pages:
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/ )
  3) get that working well <<<<<<<< VERY important. Don't try to fix a
broken installation piling on more programs when the foundation isn't
working.
  4) install latest snapshots (watch out -- threads are enabled as of
12/05)
  5) install gcc-2.95.2-for-b20.1, then install the snapshot updates to
2.95.2

This is as good a time as any to bring up a point. Since I was using the
cygwin snapshots on top of b20.1, I downloaded and installed Mumit's
b20.1 distro and then overlaid his "snapshot updates". However, this
configuration seems to be tuned for a standard b20.1 directory
structure. Since I had flattened mine, gcc looked in all the wrong
places for its headers and libs, so I had to set lots of environment
variables (GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH, etc) to
persuade gcc to play nicely.

Should I have installed the gcc-2.95.2-for-CygwinCD-V1.0 version
instead?

  6) unpack cwilson-usrlocal from your / directory
  7) unpack perl5.005_62.... from your / directory

--Chuck