Perl and cygwin

Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 31 23:49:00 GMT 1999

Chris Telting wrote:

>  Can anyone tell me if the perl distributes by activeware uses the cygwin
> library?  I didn't find the dll in the distribution though I remember it had
> it
> in a pervious version.  Is it staticly linked or do they not use cygwin
> anymore?

activestate perl is a native windows port. AFAIK, it is a dynamically linked
version (that is, it uses .dll's for the modules). Perl (5.005_03) can be
compiled with cygwin/egcs, as both a statically linked perl and a dynamically
linked perl; however, you have to patch the source. See
http://cygutils.netpedia.net/ . Perl5.6, due Real Soon Now (tm), will hopefully
compile with cygwin out-of-the-box.

--Chuck