problem with tar

Sean Mitchell mitchell@chrs.com
Tue Aug 31 23:49:00 GMT 1999

I think you're specifying your file with the DOS style drive letter and a
colon sort of like

tar xfz D:\file.tar.gz

instead of the Cygwin/UNIX style of

tar xfz //d/file.tar.gz

Tar sees the d:\{etc} as specifying a remote machine called d.

Cheers,

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Terrell Mitchell [ mailto:terrellm@usit.net ]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 1999 11:41 AM
To: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: problem with tar

I have set up cygwin b20 on my windows 98 machine for use with perl and
building cpan modules.
When I try to run tar to extract files from an archive that is not in the
current directory I get an error message

cannot execute remote shell:  no such file
cannot open "file name": I/O error
error is not recoverable: exiting now

I have no idea what is wrong with the configuration.

I have tried with COMMAND.COM, 4DOS , 4NT and BASH as the shells.
Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thank You
Terrell