How to clear the screen (again)?

Glenn Spell glenn@gs.fay.nc.us
Tue Aug 31 23:49:00 GMT 1999

On 15 Aug 1999 around 4:01PM (-0400) Leo Jingyu LEE wrote:

> I am running cygwin on win98 and trying to find a command to clear
> the screen for me.  I have searched through the mailing list
> archive for answers.  But ^L as suggested by Ian Zimmerman doesn't
> work.  I also

CTRL-L _should_ work from within 'bash'.

> downloaded the ncurses package as suggested by Michael Hirmke, but
> as the README file says, it seems to work on windows NT only.  When
> I try to use it, it gives me an error read as: 'cygwin': unknown
> terminal type.  Anymore helps?

I don't know of a terminfo entry for "cygwin". When using ncurses, or
the 'clear' command that comes with ncurses, you'll probably want to
use a TERM of "linux".

"command.com /c cls" should also clear the display from within bash.

-glenn

--
 )      Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us>      )   _       _____
 )   Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.   )_ (__\____o /_/_ |