Cygwin licencing

Chris Telting telting@sprynet.com
Wed Aug 25 06:31:00 GMT 1999

I was reading an old thread in the archive and I'm a bit confused now about
the cygwin unix library licencing.  I thought it was freely usable.  But
then I read this in the faq:

<QUOTE>
In particular, if you intend to port a commercial (non-GPL'd) application
using Cygwin, you will need the  commercial license to Cygwin that comes
with the supported native Win32 GNUPro product. The commercial license for
the Cygwin library is included in a GNUPro Toolkit subsciption. Pricing for
GNUPro Subscription starts at $6000 for three developers and includes GNUPro
Toolkit, Developer Support, and a commercial-use license for 100 copies of
the cygwin library.
</QUOTE>

I understand the library is GPL'd and not LGPL'd but if it's GPL how can
they can cygnus can be commercial licencers if there is code from other
contributers?  The library is a dll and as such it's dynamicly linked.  Can
anyone clarify this?

BlueCoder
bluecoder@rocketmail.com
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.