An irritated cygwin newbie

Jon M. Taylor taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu
Wed Aug 18 19:11:00 GMT 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:

> GGI does compile with Cygwin and I have not noticed a performance
> loss (or a drastic perfomance loss).

	ARGH!  Yep, there it is, right in the damn GGI mailing list archives.
I swear to God I searched the whole archive for 'win32' and didn't see it
before... oh well.  Good thing I got disgruntled before I spent too much time
on it |->.  I'll look over it right away.

> John Fortin (fortinj@ibm.net) had been working on writing
> DriectX interface (libGII) for GGI.

	I do not see his name anywhere in the GGI mailing list archives.  I
do see his name in the gnu-win32 list, which I do not read.

> Your statements about Win32 port of GGI contradicts Marcus Sundeberg
> statements.  Are you speaking your own thoughts or on behalf of whole
> ggi-projects?

	My own (mistaken) thoughts.

> By the way, I do not think you can do a 100% native port of GGI to Win32
> because all the libGII input stuff uses Unices...

	The input device stuff is far less performance critical than the
graphics stuff.

> You will have to rewrite
> the
> whole libGGI and 75% of libGGI.

	I doubt that very much, but we will certainly see.  Now that I know
that a port is already up and running, I should be able to a lot more,
and do that much more easily.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I can't wait to
see GGIMesa running on top of a Direct3D target on Win32!

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed