I: gcc ... -U_WIN32 ... may cause problems

Stipe Tolj tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Sep 10 02:57:00 GMT 1998

> ---Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Geoffrey Noer wrote:
> >

> > > Perhaps -Dunix should be added to the define list whenever
> > > __CYGWIN32__ is defined?  Linux includes -Dunix and
> -Asystem(posix) in
> > > CPP_PREDEFINES (looking at gcc/config/i386/linux.h).
> > >

> > I see no problem in cygwin32 specs defining "unix", but I have yet to
> > see a good argument for getting rid of _WIN32 from x86-win32 targets,
> > especially from mingw32.
> >

> The `argument' I have for removing the _WIN32 from cygwin32 (I'll live
> with mingw32) is that there exists code that already has some porting
> to WIN32 and it gets in the way of wanting to build the __UNIX__
> version under WIN32.  Since this is the goal of the Cygnus Project
> then it would be best served to remove the definitions of _WIN32.

I support this opinion, since I had many confusing #define structures to do
while poring the apache-1.3.1 server and the php-3.0.3 pre-processor to
cygwin32.

Regards, Stipe.

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>