Where to install gnu-win32...

ALI RON ALIR@STELNJ.COM
Tue Sep 1 17:58:00 GMT 1998

I set up my directory hierarchy as follows:
d:/usr
d:/usr/bin
d:/usr/etc
d:/usr/i386-cygwin32
d:/usr/include
d:/usr/linexec
d:/usr/local
d:/usr/share

The "man" & "info" directories are missing.
Do you know where they can be found?

After firing up regedit, the mount command returns:
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\\d\usr:          /usr                   native      text=binary
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1              native      text=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0              native      text=binary
\\.\b:             /dev/fd1              native      text=binary
\\.\a:             /dev/fd0              native      text=binary
c:                 /c                      native      text=binary
d:                 /                        native      text=binary

In the command, "mount -b //d/usr /usr",
what is the significance of "//", is it necessary?

The only file in the etc directory is termcap.  Although
mkpasswd.exe & mkgroup.exe, in /bin, display what
appear to be valid info, the text files don't exist.

How do I produce the /var/log & /var/run files.
Should /var be directly under /usr, or in /etc?

HOME is set to /usr, but the bash commands "cd", and
"cd ../etc", and "ls ../etc" return ": permission denied".

And. why is bash so slow?

Thanks much for your help.
Ronald Ali
RonAli@WriteMe.com