Linking with third party libraries in .lib format?

Larry Meadows lfm@pgroup.com
Sat May 2 11:40:00 GMT 1998

- The FAQ is pretty wrong. It is sort of correct for using interface
libs to dlls, but not for what you are asking.

- The gcc linker will not properly handle most microsoft libraries as it
stands. There are numerous incompatibilities. However, link.exe does
handle gnu .o files OK, so your easiest solution is to use microsoft
link rather than gnu ld. Note that link does have some problems with
gnu dll interface libraries, so you may need to use the microsoft ones.

- There are some people working on fixing this, but it may be a while
before it gets into a release mode.

lfm

-