Decompile...

Stipe Tolj tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Jul 9 19:48:00 GMT 1998

Marcel R. wrote:

> Hi 4 all...
> I want to know if there is some way to "Decompile" a file... I mean, get a
> exe file and make it be a cpp file, and view the code to do some things
> that the program do...
> Thanks...

no way. A binary (exe) file consists of assembler instructions for the
cpu. Their is no way to "decompile" the compiled and linked file to an
source code file, since the function f: source -> binary is not
injective so say it in mathematical terms.

The only way to find out "what" a binary file does is to disassembler
it, and perform aseemlber instructions step by step, controlling the cpu
registers and assembler registers that change within execution of the
analyzed program.

PS: If it would be possible to "decompile" exes to source code files, I
would be the first to "decompile" windows 98 and modify a bit to sell it
under an other name.

Regards, Stipe.

--
stud.rer.pol. Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>