Case sensitive filenames

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 12:53:00 GMT 1998

>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:50:13 -0500
>From: Nathan Glasser <nathan@alexandria.lcs.mit.edu>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: Case sensitive filenames
>
>Hello,
>
>I'm using b18 of the cygnus-win32 tools on Windows 95.
>
>I'm not a member of the mailing list, and the archive is much
>too large to search through, but I'm sure this must have come
>up before...

Yes it has.

>I find that most of the tools have what I consider to be a problem
>on Windows 95 (and probably NT).
>
>Files can be created by many mechanisms. Some might create a nice
>name like "foo.txt", but others might generate
>"FOO.TXT" (especially DOS programs or those trying to be compatible),
>and others perhaps some mixed case variant.

True.

>When I use ls, as in "ls *.txt", I won't see the upper case or
>mixed case examples, because the program is case sensitive. This is a
real pain,

It is only a pain to the non-UNIX person.  This is a product to help
port UNIX programs from UNIX to WIN32.  UNIX is case sensitive and the
filesystem commands have been left as case sensitive even though the
supporting file system is case insensitive.

>since I know well that the filenames are really case insensitive. ls
also does

This is the problem one has when trying to port UNIX programs that has a
file of config and another of Config.  In UNIX the two are different.
When moving them to Win32 the last one out is the one we get.  TOO BAD
WIN32 ISN'T CASE SENSITIVE.

>the sorting in a case sensitive fashion,
>which is a pain as well.

Again, this is not a pain for the UNIX programmer.

>I've seen the problem mostly with ls, but I think that all or most
>of the others have it as well.
>
>Is there some command line option or environment variable or something
>that I can set which will make ls (and the rest of the tools) operate
>in a case insensitive manner?
>
>				Thanks,
>				Nathan
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)