combining mingw32 + cygwin32

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 8 10:46:00 GMT 1998

vischne@ibm.net writes:
> Look, the first version of mingw32 used cygwin32 gcc, make, and all its
> binutils.  What you did to run mingw32 was to switch spec files and
> run a Dos batch file that changed the environment variables that pointed
> to the include and library directories.  That wasn't exactly automated,
> but it wasn't a bad compromise.  If you are pulling away from that level
> of compatibility without providing another switchover mechanism, you aren't
> helping.

Are you having problems doing the same now? If so, please report it as a
bug with additional information on what does not work. If that is not the
case, then why can't you do the same now? It should be trivial to do, just
takes time. If someone contributes instructions and the requisite script
file to do so, I'll gladly include it in the distribution, but *I* have
neither the time nor the incentive to do it.

You could of course always put together a distribution better suited
for combined targets and put that up for ftp so others can use that
instead.

> This directory hierarchy is also a useless appendage.  It's much simpler
> to set up a Unix file system on your C: drive, and do away with all that
> H-i386-cygwin32 excrement.  This is a Unix environment, and all the GNU
> utilities expect Unix directories.  So, why use the b18 directory structure,
> that corresponds to nothing in the real world?

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make with "GNU
utilities expect Unix directories". As for using H-i386-cygwin32, I
believe Cygnus explains their decision to do so in their on-line docs.
I don't particularly care either way, since I don't actually have to
type it in. I do agree that if you have only *one* host/target combination
on your machine, it's quite unneeded, although I will stop well short of
calling it "excrement"; the same is not true however for those who deal
with many different platforms on the same machine. You should take up the
naming scheme issue with Geoffrey Noer; I just use Cygnus' scheme to
maintain compatibility.

Regards,
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/