CD-based distribution (was Another website....)

Charles G Waldman cgw@pgt.com
Fri Aug 14 06:34:00 GMT 1998

Robert.Cross@scottish-newcastle.co.uk writes:
 > Here's a summary of what seems to be the state of play, opinion-wise, with
 > this at the moment.
 >
 > 'BLUE SOCKS' GNU-WIN32 DISTRIBUTION:

<snip>

 > o Xwindows software, eg xterm, to be installed by default (make this easily
 > removable/optional?).

This should be optional.  If you don't have an X-Server, xterm et al
will be useless.  And there's not a good free X-Server we can
distribute with the 'Blue Socks' distribution.

 > o I suggest that the following (plus others) are included on the list of
 > 'developer' packages:
 >     Xemacs, Fortran compiler, Pascal compiler, Perl, Tcl/Tk, Graphics libraries
 > - such as PNG, etc,
 >     Expect(?). Networking tools (sendmail?).

Since Perl, Tcl/Tk, XEmacs (as of version 21, to be released RSN) and
the PNG libraries have already been ported to Win32 - as native Win32
programs, that is, not on top of Cygnus - having a second Cygnus
version of these installed is a bit of a pain.  Personally, if I'm
going to do Tcl/Tk development on Windows,  I'll do it in native mode,
so that when I distribute my programs to Windows users there won't be
any surprises.

Does Cygwin really need its own copies of all the Tcl/Tk stuff, if the
native-mode versions are already installed on the host PC?

 > o GIMP v1.0 anyone?

That's a fabulous idea.

 > o Available in binary and source forms: NETPBM/PBMplus, GhostScript/Ghostview,
 > XPaint,
 >     Apache web server, ....

Again, Ghostscript already compiles natively on Win32.  What's the
advantage of having a Cygnus version?

-