mounts, ls, and filename completion

Pete Jordan pete@horus.cix.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 17:44:00 GMT 1998

Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > 	mkdir /foo
> > 	mount -b D:/ /foo
> >

> Only if your on UNIX and this ain't UNIX.  As a matter of fact, it is
> best _NOT_ to create the directory first as it only confuses you the
> user _AND_ cygwin32 the emulation filesystem.
>
> Now if you were to do:
>       mkdir //d/foo
>       mount -b //d/foo /foo
> that would be perfectly acceptable and would not confuse you or
> cygwin32.

Can you expand on this? My experience is that creating the underlying
directory and them mounting both works and causes no problems (and,
indeed, I've now documented as such on my website). A definical method for
creating mounts that don't prevent filename completion working would be a
/very/ welcome piece of information.

(In particular, the example you give seems entirely pointless - what
exactly does 'mkdir //d/foo' do? The target directory already exists, so
what gets created?)

Pete Jordan ~ Horus Communications Ltd ~ http://www.horus.cix.co.uk/

"'Not twisted,' Salzy once said of her own passion, 'it is helical.
 That sounds better.'"
-