-O3 -> warning: xxx might be used uninitialized (STL)

Brian Osman bosman@clariion.com
Fri Aug 7 07:21:00 GMT 1998

I couldn't find any mention of this in the mailing list archives, or in
the egcs archives. I'm using B19.1, with egcs 1.0.2. I have a
substantial program I'm working on, which uses STL pretty heavily.
Whenvever I'm doing normal builds (i.e. -g -Wall) everything goes fine,
but as soon as I replace -g  with -O3, I get thousands (actually 1028)
of warnings in the stl headers, and some other standard headers about
unitialized variables. Is this normal? Or has it been corrected at some
point? After eliminating all the duplicates, it looks like there's 65
such unique warnings being generated, all in:

fstream.h
std/bastring.h
stl_alloc.h
stl_construct.h