Win95 hangs

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 18:19:00 GMT 1998

Hi Peter,

Please read the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE at the bottom of this note.
Also, after you've upgraded, it is important on win95 to add the 'tty'
value to the list of values for the CYGWIN32 environment variables.
It has been reported that this stops the freezing on Win95.

---Peter Boncz <boncz@wins.uva.nl> wrote:

> Hi there:
>
> I use b19.1 now on windows 95. I have a complex makefile system that
> does a lot of stuff including gcc,g++,sed,bison,flex, and our own
utilities
> it just bootstrapped.
>
> On b18 it worked. It must be said; it worked slow; probably due to
many
> process forks, etc..
>
> - the good news: b19 is much faster in the make sequence
> - the bad news: it really freezes the system in a nasty way.
>
> b18 was pretty stable; as long as you keep only window with bash
> open at the same time (beeeh!)
>
> On b19 I could get this behaviour e.g. by typing a nonexisting
> command in the root dir. bash would then freeze. This went
> away in b19.1.
>
> But, as said, b19.1 still is not stable enough. When I run with trace
> it is so slow that it runs forever and I can't judge whether it now
> passes or not.
>
> In my situation, though, the system freezes in a reproduceable way.
> It fires off one of my utilities (first time) and then everything
> freezes. not even ctrl-alt-del can save it any more..
>
> As a final word: this is a bug report and not a criticism. I really
> appreciate the work cygnus and people on the net are putting into
> the cygwin32 environment.
>
> --
> === P.A. Boncz ================= phone: +31-20-525 7580 === WCW room
F106 ===
boncz@chart.fwi.uva.nl     ===
http://www.fwi.uva.nl/~boncz/ =======

> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a
message to

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (Colin Peters - Mingw32)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul      (Valery Tulnikov - software ports)

Help for Win32 Beginners:
 http://www.relisoft.com
 http://www.program.com/resources/win32.html

DISCLAIMER: These links or links from these pages to other sites do
not constitute an endorsement of any entities, advertisers, products
or services therein. I am not responsible for and do not control or
monitor the content of these sites or the accuracy of information
found therein.

You should get the following to update your cygwinb19 package:

Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package which contains an updated
cygwinb19.dll.  (Yes, even if you've already downloaded the b19.1
update from the Cygnus Site).

Mumit Khan's compilation of EGCS for the cygwinb19.dll; especially if
your using the C++ compiler.  The current version of the compiler that
comes with the tools have lots of problems that have been fixed with
the EGCS version.  This is a drop-in replacement for the GCC toolset.

URL's are listed above.