B19: reading from a pipe

Guenther Mayerhoffer guenther.mayerhoffer@gmx.de
Wed Apr 15 03:31:00 GMT 1998

Hi,

I suppose there is a bug in your bash. When I enter the following
command

    echo "string" | read variable; echo $variable

there is no output. However it works under the UNIX shell scripts and
that is what I expect. It seems your bash applies the pipe statements as
own process (with own stack). The alternative command
    echo "string" | ( read variable; echo $variable )
operates very well but this would force me to change already written
UNIX shell scripts.

What can I do ?

-