Little surprises inside of compiled files

afn06760@afn.org afn06760@afn.org
Sun Apr 12 06:59:00 GMT 1998

>   afn06760@afn.org
>   Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:25:04 GMT
>
>I have a MINGW32 compiled verison of the Midnight Commander file browser,
>and just accidentally was using it to view the contents of cygwin-compiled
>files in my /usr/local/bin directory, and I have found pieces of source
>code embedded in the middle of executables:

>File: grotty.exe        Col 0             75776 bytes                       61%
>.°.@.D¦@....................._º@.+¼@.........s...+¼@.........t...+¼@.........u.
>.
>.-¼@.........v...+¼@.........Y...¦¼@.........y...+¼@.........z...+¼@.........Z.
>.
You guys really know how to hurt someone.  You didn't include the source
code in your display:

.........____...|........   SLfree (c);
   return sls;
}

#if SLSTRING_STATS
void SLstring_dump_stats (void)
{
   SLstring_Type *sls;
   unsigned int i;
   unsigned long bytes_malloced = 0;
   unsigned long virtual_bytes_malloced = 0;
   unsigned long num_items = 0;
   unsigned int pad;
   unsigned int num_cells;

   sls = NULL;