Command line length limit

Mark Johnson MarkJ@Datafit.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 08:44:00 GMT 1997

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately the problem is that make falls over when exec'ing the
commandline, including of course exec'ing xargs with redirected input,
or indeed echoing to a file.

The xargs solution would be perfect if it was implemented within make
itself. Indeed we have used a similar technique with other makes which
coped with exporting large amounts to the environment but not to the
commandline or file.

I can't update the zip file for each out of date file as this of
course changes the zipfile timestamp after the first file.

Neither can I find a way of splitting the filelist within make to echo
it in parts to a file.

At the moment I simply ignore dependencies and simply zip up
everything in the zipfile. This is not satisfactory in the medium to
long term but at least I have more than I need.

Although I could split into multiple targets (zip up files starting a*
then b* etc) at some point I may still bust the limit, so this would
not be a robust solution.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to reply.
 Mark

P.S. Did this get copied to you by cygnus or did my mail get posted on
some newsgroup?