Bash as the interactive shell in Emacs 19.34.6 for NT not working

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Nov 17 06:24:00 GMT 1997

Earnie Boyd, you wrote:

> >Earnie Boyd, you wrote:
> >>
> >> You can carefully us the "tr" command to remove the ^M,  don't do this
> >> with any file containing non-text data:
> >
> >That's not a fix, that's a work-around.
>
> It is a fix in the sense that you only have to do it once.  Once the
> text=binary has been set then you don't need to "fix" the ^M's any more.
> This could come under the heading of "conversion".  Your converting from
> text!=binary to text=binary.

Look, text=binary mode is a nice feature, but not everyone wants it.
I'd much rather have a version of bash that worked even with text!=binary
mode than having to convert all files to binary mode.

One reason for this is that anytime I (or the users of the program that
I'm porting) use a Windows text editing tool to edit my (their) files,
it will save the files in text mode, not binary mode, so the conversion is
not just a "once-off" thing that can be done at installation time and
then forgotten about.

I'm not trying to reignite the text-vs-binary debate, I would just like
the developers to bear in mind that many of the users would prefer to
use text mode mounts rather than binary mode mounts if possible.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"