UWIN vs. GNU-Win32: comparison wanted.

Sergey Okhapkin sos@prospect.com.ru
Thu May 15 16:52:00 GMT 1997

Francis Litterio wrote:
> Does anyone have any info about how UWIN compares with GNU-Win32?  I
> have never used UWIN.  In particular:

I have tried to use UWIN. Generally speaking, mr. Korn made very good work.
But... The package does not contain cc compiler, only wrapper for MSVC. So,
you need MSVC installed to compile anything. I have MSVC, but I could not
compile with UWIN anything more complex than "hello, world" :-( Probably,
it's a problem with my head :-) UWIN sources are not available. UWIN have
very good tty/pty handling, but only when all tools are used from ksh. Tty
system does not initialize properly when tools are running from NT's
command prompt. For a lot of operations UWIN starts posix tools from NT
resource kit.

> How good/bad is UWIN's signal handling?

Almost the same as in cygnus B18.

> Does UWIN support process groups?

Yes.

> How does UWIN's fork implementation differ from that of GNU-Win32?

No differences. The same method like in cygwin. But most of UWIN tools are
rewritten to use spawn() instead of fork/exec, so they runs a bit faster.

> How does UWIN deal with the perennial issue of text vs. binary data in
> files and pipes?

All files/pipes/etc are handled in binary mode only.

--
Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia

-