DLL problems understood, but not solved

Valery Fine Valeri.Faine@cern.ch
Thu Mar 20 02:06:00 GMT 1997

On 20 Mar 97 at 13:13, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> Nick van Eijndhoven, you wrote:
> >
> > 3) Make sure that the GNU produced DLL's can be used together with
> > the
> >    Microsoft visual C++ produced DLL's.
> >    This is vital in my case (being a member of a large high energy
> >    physics experiment where some packages use MS visual C++
> >    stuff).
>
> If your DLLs stick to a C interface, that should be OK.
>
> However, if your DLLs have a C++ interface, then what you ask is
> impossible.  The C++ ABI used by MS Visual C++ is an undocumented
> proprietry ABI.  In fact, I think some aspects of its ABI may even
> have been patented.

   Fortunately it is not our case. To load C++ classes from DLL
indirectly. We use CINT - C++ interpreter written in pure C.
(check: http://root.cern.ch ). This way de don't need to know that ABI
at all.

  Thank you very mush for your hint.
                    With my regards,
                                               Valery
Dr. Valery Fine                  Telex : 911621 dubna su
    -----------
LCTA/Joint Inst.for NuclearRes   Phone : +7 09621 6 40 80
141980 Dubna, Moscow region      Fax   : +7 09621 6 51 45
Russia                           mailto:fine@main1.jinr.dubna.su
                                 mailto:fine@vxcern.cern.ch
Dr. Valeri Faine
    ------------                 Phone: +41 22 767 6468
CERN                             FAX  : +41 22 782 2601
CH-1211 Geneva, 23               mailto:fine@vxcern.cern.ch
Switzerland                      http://nicewww.cern.ch/~fine

-